Thursday, March 25, 2010

Sock Monkeys

Hey everybody!  OK, it has occurred to me that I may be the world's worst blogger.  I don't know what to say in my defense.  Lazy?  No...just really busy, I guess. 

In cross stitch related news, I just sent in my submission to the Just Cross Stitch Ornament Issue.  We were humbled to be invited to participate in the JCS ornament issue again this year.  We take turns and this year it was my turn.  Here's how it turned out:


Isn't he cute?  I'm calling him, "Nickadeamous".  The one thing I wish I would have done differently is the hanger- I wish I would have used solid red instead, otherwise, no worries.  I'm really happy with it.  The ric-rac trim adds a nice vintage touch, too.  I love how the mitten buttons match his hat.  Blue and yellow happen to be our school colors-- okay, so maybe that wasn't an accident.  "Go Kimball Cubs!"

My girls are big sock monkey fans.  My oldest daughter, Ellen, really likes the traditional Rockford Red sock monkeys and my younger daughter, Rosie, really likes the newer, funky-style monkeys.  Here are some photos of their monkeys:

Rosie's Funky Monkeys
(Gordon, Bubbles, Nanette, and Donald)
Donald was made by her friend, Maicy, as a Christmas gift this year.  Aren't hand made gifts just the best?  He has a little pink button heart sewn onto his chest and even his yellow hat and scarf (not shown) were crocheted by hand.  So cute!

Ellen's Bunch
(her favorite is "Hendrix" on the right with the bowtie)
Of note, the one in the front with the fez and pom poms is the one my mom made for me when I was a kid.  I think I called him, "Peek-a-Boo" for some reason.  I remember thinking he was so cool when my mom made him for me, but I remember her saying that she was unhappy with how he turned out because his arms, tail  and legs were so short.  She claims she messed up the pattern somehow, but I never cared.  He's cute and his little fez was my favorite part.  Always reminded me of Richie's dad (Mr. Cunningham) on the TV show "Happy Days".  Remember how his dad used to talk about Leopard Lodge No. 462 in Milwaukee?  

Richie, Mr. C as Grand Poobah, and the Fonz (my husband's childhood hero)

I will leave you with some cool pictures I took around our yard this winter.  All of our snow is gone now, but I got some really cool photos on a particularly foggy day here.  The hoar frost on the trees was so beautiful that day.  I tried to capture it on film.  Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Love the sock monkey and his lips. Whoo hoo! Isn't it fun finishing Christmas projects...in the first few days of spring? :D

    ReplyDelete